Summary of Position:
The Litigation Specialist is responsible for reviewing and managing all claim-related legal actions filed against Security First Insurance Company. A higher level of understanding of litigation and monitoring of Retained Counsel is expected in this role. The Specialist will be responsible for evaluating coverage settlement potential, negotiating settlement agreements, and working with Retained Counsel in defending the Company. For lawsuits that are to be settled, the Litigation Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that extensions are obtained to respond, ordering any additional required investigations, and ensuring that a responsive pleading is timely filed if necessary. If warranted, the Litigation Specialist will assign Retained Counsel, and monitor defense activity. For claims that are assigned to Retained Counsel, the Litigation Specialist will be responsible for ensuring suits receive a timely response, providing direction to Retained Counsel as needed, and assisting Retained Counsel in obtaining required claim investigations. The Litigation Specialists is also responsible for establishing appropriate reserves for indemnity and expense as required. The Litigation Specialist will confer with the Litigation Supervisor on issues regarding litigation as needed and will be responsible for timely escalation of matters to the Litigation Supervisor as warranted.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare initial case evaluation.
- Analyze coverage and the underlying coverage determination.
- Timely escalation of matters, as appropriate, to Litigation Supervisor.
- Creates a joint litigation plan for the defense of each case assigned.
- Prepare reports and case summaries for review by claim management.
- Coordinate activities of Retained Counsel and Security First Insurance Company’s legal bill management organization personnel as regards legal billings.
- Recommend additions or deletions to Security First Approved Retained Counsel list.
- Refers and monitors for responses to Civil Remedy Notices filed on first party claims that are in suit.
- Oversees third party lawsuits, if applicable, as requested by management.
- Evaluate suits for settlement or Retained Counsel action plans.
- Evaluate claims in litigation and provide guidance and settlement authority to Security First Retained Counsel.
- Responsible for monitoring the Florida Department of State website for suits served on Security First Insurance Company.
- Negotiate settlements of disputed damages where appropriate.
- Assign Retained Counsel and monitor defense activity where appropriate.
- Ensure Retained Counsel complies with the Security First Litigation Expectation guidelines.
- Establish and maintain appropriate reserves on litigated claims for indemnity and expense.
- Regularly report litigated cases to management.
- Provide claim management with recommendations for litigation resolution.
- Maintain litigation log.
- Oversee and evaluates Retained Counsel.
- Keep up to date on changes in the law that affect the Litigation Specialist’s area of expertise.
- Responsible for recommending changes to claim procedures and guidelines when appropriate.
- Resolve issues between Retained Counsel and Security First Insurance Company’s Legal bill review provider.
- Participate in training and mentoring of external business partners or new employees.
- Review and interpret attorney pleadings and caselaw, as necessary.
- Attendance at depositions, mediation and trial as required.
- Prepare and attend corporate representative depositions as assigned.
- Effectively interact with external business partners and exercise independent judgment.
- Ensure all appropriate legal closing documents have been received before closing files.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- Present a professional and helpful appearance.
- Assist in other areas of department or other departments as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- JD experience a plus.
- Paralegal experience a plus.
- CPCU a strong plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- 10 years claims litigation experience plus years of Property and Claim experience at a carrier level.
- Experience with handling litigated and disputed claims.
- Experience with the legal process in the claim environment.
- Current Florida Adjuster license or ability to obtain within 2 weeks of employment.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Decision Quality
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Our company is a drug-free workplace, and all candidates which are offered a position will be required to submit to pre-employment drug screening. Refusal to submit to drug screening will result in retraction of offer.