Ormond Beach Chamber Economic Prosperity Meeting
June 19, 2019
City Economic Development Happenings
Business Outlook and Trends: Year to date (May 2019) compared to same period 2018.
Ormond Beach employment for April 2019 was 19,240. This is up 0.6% from 2018
The City’s unemployment rate is 3.0% down from 3.6% one year ago. The City’s jobless rate was slightly lower than the Deltona-Daytona-Ormond Metro Region (3.2%) and the same as the State (3.0%). Year to date over 80 jobs were added to the economy in 2019 since January of this year.
(Source: LAUS, FL. DEO)
Business Licenses: 289 Total licenses: 6 more than last year
|City of Ormond Beach
New businesses: -34
less than last year
Home based businesses: -13
less than last year
2,448 Total permits: -202 less than last year
Million Total Construction Value: -$15
million less than last year
B. Permits Constr. Value $ 2018 6,119 (-2.9%) $143 (+10%)
2017 6,304 (+13%) $130 (+17%)
2016 5,594 (+12%) $109 (+18%)
2015 4,989 (+12%) $ 92 (+16%)
2014 4,452 $ 79
Development Pipeline and Updates
The regional business development pipeline remains very active. City’s Department of Economic Development continues to work closely with Team Volusia and regional partners on corporate site selection and prospects. According to recent updates:
Approximately 100 companies are in some stage of assessing Volusia County as a possible location for their business. The City is actively working on a few of these projects considering Ormond Beach as a location.
Volusia/Flagler area has a unique opportunity to create a local FAME (Federation for Advanced Manufacturing Education) chapter along with the Advanced Manufacturing Technician Program. Several local manufacturers and the VMA are currently exploring
this opportunity. It is a program designed to prepare students for careers as technicians in both manufacturing and non-manufacturing fields. If you have a need for technician or know companies that do, have them contact the City’s Department of Economic Development or VMA to learn more.
Business Park and Commercial Development
There is approximately 234,900 SF of new office and industrial development under construction or planned with the City of Ormond Beach. Activity is occurring the Airport Business Park, Ormond Crossings, and along U.S. 1. Notable updates:
- Ormond Crossings: Security First Insurance HQ construction continues. They anticipate grand opening in late summer 2019.
- Concentrated Aloe completed their 40,000 SF manufacturing plant and are moving in.
- There is a proposed 14,400 SF office/warehouse on Coolidge Avenue just south of Division Ave.
- Total Comfort has proposed a project to construct a 25,800+ SF building located at 1345 N. US 1.
The rehabilitation of Runway 9/27 and improvements to the heliport are complete. An FAA grant of $2.2 million and FDOT funds in the amount of $200,000 were instrumental in the construction of the runway rehab and design of the runway and taxiway extension.
The rehabilitation and design projects funded by these grants are the second of a three part process to rehabilitate and extend the airport’s primary runway, which is one of the City’s near-term airport CIP goals established during the last airport master plan update. The bidding process for the construction of the extension of Runway 9/27 and Taxiway Alpha has been completed. Halifax Paving, an Ormond Beach based company, is the successful bidder for the project. Construction of the extension of Runway 9/27 and Taxiway Alpha is anticipated to commence in the fall.
There is approximately over 250,000 SF of new retail space either under construction or planned within the City of Ormond Beach, primarily along major commercial corridors of US 1 and Granada Blvd. Notable updates:
- Lucky’s Market is complete Site work continues for the stand-alone Starbucks in the Granada Plaza.
- A 124 room, 53,857 SF Extended Stay has been proposed at 275 Interchange Blvd.
- Chase Bank will locate a new 3,470+ SF branch at 1520 W. Granada Blvd. site of a former gas station. Site work is underway.
- Phase 2 of the Shoppes on Granada, an approximate 53,650 SF shopping center. Site and building work has commenced. Dr. Salzburg veterinary clinic is complete. Aldi’s and the other in-line retail bays are nearing completion.
- The Publix at the Trails Shopping center has submitted a site plan for the demolition of the existing building and the former CVS and construction of a new 48,387 square foot building